Saturday, January 23, 2010

Hyderabadi chicken biriyani in cooker

Hyderabadi biriyani needs no introduction. Its very famous in India and I have tasted this so many times from hyderbadi restaurants in Pune. It was my cousin sister who told me that she makes hyderbadi biriyani at home which always turns out good for her. She was following an online recipe. You can find the original recipe here. When I tried it first, I followed the recipe exactly as mentioned. Second time, I made a few changes and turned out better. In the original recipe the chef is using fried onions, but in my version, to be more healthy, I sauted onions till it was golden brown. Also, in the original recipe javantri is a key ingredient but since I didn't like the taste of javantri(mace) I didnt use it. Since hyderbadi biriyani is a dum biriyani, the steam should not escape when cooking it. First time, I sealed the vessel with flour, but second time I tried it in pressure cooker, which gave an awesome result. The rice was very soft and tender.

Here goes the recipe...

Ingredients


To marinate

Chicken - 750 gm
Green chillies -3
Ginger garlic paste - 2tbs
Cinnamon sticks -2
Cloves -5
Cardamom -4 pods
Cumin seeds -1tsp
Corainder powder - 2 tbs
Chilly powder -1tbs
Pepper powder - 1tsp
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
Mint leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few
Salt
Yogurt - 3/4 cup

For Biriyani

Onions -3
Basmathi rice - 3 cup
Fried onions to garnish
Saffron water

Preparation

Marinate the chicken with all the ingredients and keep it aside for 1-2 hrs.

Soak rice in water for 30 minutes.Boil water in a vessel and add rice to boiling water.Cook the rice till it is half done.Drain the water.

In a pressure cooker add oil and saute the chopped onions till golden brown.Turn off the stove and add the marinated chicken and mix well. Above the chicken layer spread the half cooked rice and sprinkle the saffron water.Cover the pressure cooker and put the weight.Cook on a high flame for about 5 minutes and 10 minutes on a medium flame and 15 minutes on a low flame.

Garnish with fried onions and mint leaves.

10 comments:

Sushma Mallya said...

Easy and delicious,i love to have chicken biryani anytime and hyderabadi style is one of my fav...next time will try doing in a cooker,

Ash said...

I have saved this for my future biryani encounter.... I love them forever.... The very thought gets me drooling... So It is just not possible for me to resist this recipe.... I will try & savor it all some day... & yes! Yummy clicks too.... That gives it an extra edge...

Ash..
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

priya said...

wow..biriyani looks super yummy and tempting!

Dolly Sharma said...

Wow, Vineetha- Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani looks awesome and inviting. I love Biryani..in fact I have one Chicken Biryani recipe in my draft so lazy to post it.

I followed ur link to Vah reh Vah chef..He's great.

Also loved that u have cooked this in a cooker. Have never tried that. Gd to know ur little one is doing great and he loves his play group..Great idea to keep him busy.UR one smart MOM.

Namitha said...

That's a great idea...This is my most fav biryni ever :-)

TREAT AND TRICK said...

Wow the biryani looks yummy, this one is under my try out list.

Sarah Naveen said...

Oh wow!!!! I havent tried yet the cooker method..now that i got a great recipe, i can do it now..
looks absolutely yummy dea..!!!!

gtyuk said...

delicious briyani!!! looks perfect!!!

this cooker method sounds much more easier than the original method; will try this method some time!!!

Tina said...

Adipoli ayitundu..Ithhu muzhuvan kazhikkan thonunnu...

Unknown said...

Slurp!! mouthwatering briyani, feel like finishing that..sherikum kothiyavum...excclnt vinee!!!!