Friday, November 18, 2011

Rajma and chana dal curry

P1000917



Rajma was a thing which I never ate when I grew up,my mom never cooked it, but when I got my own kitchen , cooking became my passion . My h always appreciate whatever I cook which gives me even more enthu to try out new things. I first tried rajma curry 5 years ago when my mother in law came to visit us for a short time,I was trying to impress her with new things ,but I was not lucky enough with rajma,I didn't know that rajma need to be soaked overnight and pressure cooked bit more than normal dals, I tried out couple more times till that packet got finished ,but my rajma never used to get cooked properly and we had to somehow eat it.I totally ignored rajma after that until I had it from a friends place an year ago,I couldn't believe that rajma was giving such good gravy !! I asked her how to cook it and she gave me some tips. After that I have been cooking rajma regularly and never had problem cooking it.

Ingredients

Rajma - 1/2 cup
Chana dal - 1/4 cup
Onions - 2
Tomato - 1 1/2
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1tbs
Redchilly powder - 1 tbs
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Salt
Coriander leaves

Preparation
Soak rajma overnight in warm water.Soak Chana for 2-3 hrs.
Pressure cook rajma first atleast for 3-4 whistles.Then add in soaked chana and pressure cook again for 2-3 whistles.
In a saucepan add some oil and sputter cumin seeds. Add chopped onions and saute till it is light brown. Add in ginger garlic paste and fry for 1 minute.Thrown in chopped tomotoes and all the masala powders and saute till it becomes a paste .Now add this paste to cooked dal , pour some water if required and pressure cook again for 1 whistle. Check the salt and garnish with coriander leaves.

25 comments:

divya said...

Woww wat a catchy and healthy curry...

Julie said...

Never tried rajma with chana dal..looks thick and delicious!!
Erivum Puliyum
Ongoing Event -Christmas Delicacy (15 Nov-31 Dec 2011)

Gopika Ram said...

One of my fav curries :) Love it with roti.. looks so yum

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Rajma and chana are my favorite lentils. Excellent recipe using both of them. Wonderfully prepared.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Tina said...

Never tried this combination...looks delicious dear.

Amila said...

sounds yummy!!

Reva said...

That is a yummy combination..:) truly falvourful and healthy..:)
Reva

Kaveri Venkatesh said...

I too don't like rajma much due to the same reason, it does not get cooked properly..Maybe I should try your method. Gravy looks very yum

Priya Suresh said...

Super healthy and nutritious curry.

Malar Gandhi said...

Interesting twist to regular rajma curry.

I loved ur meen polichadhu as well, awesome work:)

www.kitchen-mantra.blogspot.com

Suja Manoj said...

Love the combo,healthy and yummy curry..adipoli

Sushma Mallya said...

Looks delicious..perfect with roti!

Shema George said...

yummy combo ... will try it
Shema George LifeScoops

Sobha Shyam said...

never tried rajam and chana dal combo, looks delicious, a healthy recipe..

I have a friend Hima, she's in US..if u want to talk, u can mail me at itzgoodfood@gmail.com.

Unknown said...

very good combo. I never tried both in single curry. Looks yummm.

Shanthi Krishnakumar said...

This looks extremely awesome and would love to have it.

Unknown said...

lots of rajma posts one yummier than the other :)))

Raks said...

Nice curry sounds wonderful!

PrathibhaSreejith said...

Vineetha, This luks like a great combo :) nice recipe...

hemalata said...

Very nutritious combo,looks so tasty n healthy.

Unknown said...

Healthy and delicious curry..Love this combo!!

Sandhya Hariharan said...

thats quite a healthy curry...!! nice one

My Kitchen Antics said...

i have never combined rajma and dal together..my rajma curry is so horrible ive stopped making it, maybe i shud try your version :)

Rinku Naveen said...

That sounds like a yummy combo. Never tried Rajma with chana dal. I too had to make many trials to get my rajma curry right. But no one at home likes Rajma so I stopped cooking it :(

Mark Leung said...

This recipe looks great as does everything on here. I am currently working on a new ITV cooking show and it would be great if you could get in contact so I can speak to you more about the show.

www.foodgloriousfood.tv

mark.leung@optomen.com