Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pigeon Peas Thoran

P1010348

Yet another week passed by and its only today I got some time for blogging.Last week I got an opportunity to Volunteer my lil A's nursery for their visit to Local library, I throughly enjoyed being with Nursery kids. It was a tough job to make 25 kids walk through the pavement of busy roads,making them cross the signal etc etc.They had a big rope with strings attached on each side of the rope and each one has to hold a string tightly and never let it go,and I was surprised how the kids listened and behaved !! Just before they entered the library they were asked to keep fingers on their lips and to be quiet (SHHHH) and guess what they didnt utter a word !!

Anyway coming to todays topic,Pigeon peas is my new discovery,I had no idea how to cook it or how long it will take to cook when I bought it , first time I tried to cook it a saucepan and waited for 20 mins,but there was no sign of pigeon peas getting cooked so I transferred it to a pressure cooker and gave 2 whistles ,voila ! it was cooked,and thoran was so delicious and I loved it.I am going to make this a regular in my kitchen from now on.

Here goes my recipe

Ingredients

Pigeon peas -250gm

Shallots - 7-8

Grated coconut - 1/4 cup

Red chilly powder- 1 tsp

Turmeric powder - 1/3 tsp

Salt

Curry leaves

Preparation

Pressure cook pigeon peas with 1/8 cup of water adding redchilly powder,turmeric and salt.

Make a coarse paste of shallots and grated coconut and add this to cooked pigeon peas .

Cook the pigeon peas for 1-2 minutes until the raw taste of shallots and coconut goes.

In a pan ad oil and sputter some mustard seeds and add curry leaves to.

Add this to cooked pigeon peas and mix .

14 comments:

Neetz said...

Superb and tasty one too!

Suja Manoj said...

Adipoli thoran..healthy and delicious.

Sowmya said...

nutritious thoran..will try this for sure!

Julie said...

Healthy n delicious !!!

Erivum Puliyum

PrathibhaSreejith said...

lovely thoran, healthyn delicious..
Hope ur little one is enjoying his nursery :)

Reshmi Mahesh said...

Yummy thoran...

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Delicious looking thoran. Lovely pic.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Dolly Sharma said...

Vineetha..I love your Presentation and the Clicks are really awesome. I make a lot of pigeon peas but this recipe is new to me..Seems easy and delicious. Good to know Mom and little A are having fun..

Sobha Shyam said...

healthy and delicious thoran, nice to know that u had a wonderful time with the kids..a lovely opportunity :)

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Delicious and healthy thoran....

divya said...

Yum! That looks fantastic!

Ganga Sreekanth said...

healthy n mouthwatering

Unknown said...

So healthy and yummy dear!

Hema said...

Nice dish with pigeon peas, have to try this, love your clicks, nice of U to stop by my blog and for following me, following U too..