Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Red Cabbage & Prawns Thoran/ Stir fry

P1030264



Eventhough red cabbage is supposed to be a healthier one than the white cabbage I always prefered to pick either white or any other green variaties just because I liked the taste of later better.But I changed my mind set when I first tasted an amazing red cabbage salad with some dressing which came with my kebab from my favourite kebab shop round the corner where we live.The Kebab he serves itself is so delicious and on top of that he serves some amazing veggie salad with loads of red cabbage,white cabbage ,cucumber,tomato,carrot with some garlic sauce ! I am not a salad person really,never enjoyed salads but the kebab shop converted me ..slowly I am appreciating home made salads but not in the raw form though , I bought a jar of salad dressing which makes salad so delicious ! Last week I even picked up a whole red cabbage and enjoyed half of it as salad and with the other half I prepared this thoran..Adding prawns to veggies which are not my fav is a trick that I have been practicing from sometime now and it worked with red cabbage too..I liked the combination and hopefully I might pick another red cabbage soon :)

P1030263

Ingredients

Red Cabbage - 1/2 of a big whole cabbage

Onion - 1

Cooked Prawns - 100 gms

Green chillies - 2-3

Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp

Salt

Curry leaves

Grated coconut/Dessicated coconut - 2 tbs

Mustard seeds - 1 tsp

Oil - 2-3 Tbs

Method

1.In a saucepan add some oil and sputter mustard seeds.

2.Add chopped onions and saute for 1-2 minutes.

3.Add chopped cabbage,sliced green chillies,turmeric and salt and mix well.Cook covered.

4.When it is almost cooked add prawns and cook for another 1-2 minutes.

5.Finally add grated coconut and curry leaves and stir for 1 minute and turn off the flame.

8 comments:

Swathi said...

Red cabbage and prawns thoran kollam. Njan orikal thoran undaki, ente princess ishtapettila athode niruthi.

Julie said...

Even I tried red cabbage once too,none liked it here..but adding prawns is a nicee twist to the regular fiber..Yummy!!

Ongoing Events of Erivum Puliyum @ Palakkad Chamayal-Fenugreek Leaves OR Green Chillies

Julie said...

Even I tried red cabbage once too,none liked it here..but adding prawns is a nicee twist to the regular fiber..Yummy!!

Ongoing Events of Erivum Puliyum @ Palakkad Chamayal-Fenugreek Leaves OR Green Chillies

R.Punitha said...

Hi Vineetha ,

Thoran looks delicious !!!!

Neat presentation:)))

Keep on Dear...

Rinku Naveen said...

That looks yummy. Never tried this combo.

Priya Suresh said...

Love adding prawns in my stir fries too, super catchy thoran. Get a waffle maker soon Vineetha, once the waffles gets well cooked,they will come out easily from the maker. Also preheating the waffle maker helps a lot.

Unknown said...

wow.. something different try.. like this version..

Nitha said...

Love the prawn flavor in the stir fry...