Friday, April 11, 2014

Tender Coconut pudding/ Elaneer pudding



Back home during summers Amma used to ask our coconut picker to drop few tender coconuts every time he comes for his monthly picking, after slurping the fresh juice me and my sisters used to fight for scooping out the thin tender coconut shavings. During those school/college days I was not fond of usual cooking and never cooked but when it comes to desserts, my eyes always used to lit up. I still remember making a bread pudding during my 17’s or 18’s and serving my family with pride. I am sure if I had known about this pudding then I would have definitely tried making it with plentiful tender coconut available.

Ever since I learnt about this dessert I was so desperate to make to this. I used to gaze at the tender coconuts in Indian shops here which makes  special appearance during festive occasions but without the vettu kathi/ chopper there was no point in buying them. Hammer works well for me to crack the coconut shell so I never had the need of vettu kathi to crack my coconuts, so last year when I went to India I decided to pack one chopper in check in luggage just for chopping my tender coconut, but at the last moment I dropped the plan as I was worried about security checking. After that, I never thought I would be able to make tender coconut pudding in my kitchen here until I saw this frozen young coconut shavings in a Korean shop here. They had cans of young coconut water too, so picked up both and tried making it. Finally I can cross of my desire to make tender coconut pudding for the time being. It was a delicious dessert but I think   the frozen tender coconut didn’t do compete justice to my pudding so I will be trying it again during my next vacation with fresh tender coconut J

Ingredients ( serves 6)
Tender Coconuts shavings – 1cup ( from 2 tender coconuts)
Tender coconut water – 1 cup
Milk – 2 cup
Water – ½ cup
Gelatin – 15g/ 5 tsp
Condensed milk/Milk maid – 200 ml / ½ tin
Sugar – ½ cup or as per your sweetness

Method
  • In a blender puree the tender coconut shavings with coconut water.
  • In a heatproof bowl add boiling water and add gelatin and dissolve, keep it aside.
  • Place milk, condensed milk and sugar  in saucepan and warm till sugar dissolves. Let it cool down a bit.
  • Add tender coconut puree to it and mix well.
  • Finally add the gelatin mixture and mix.
  • Pour the mixture into serving bowl and chill for 3-4 hours or until set.




13 comments:

FLAVZCORNER said...

I love tender coconut and the water so much that I can even skip my meals for that. Last time when we went for the vacation, I went crazy eating the tenders. I don't have any equipment to crack the coconut shell either, so I never buy fresh coconut here, only the frozen :(. The pudding looks beautiful!!

Shema George said...

This looks so delicious Vinni! I am craving for some now... Wish I was in Kerala :)

nandoos kitchen said...

kalakki.. pudding super..

Unknown said...

delicious elaneer pudding

Rafeeda AR said...

everytime we go home, we eat this... and everytime i want to make it here, somehow the time doesn't come... urs looks so tempting, i would love to make this really soon, hopefully... normally back home agar agar is used, though gelatine is better for lesser heartaches!!! hehe...

Unknown said...

Pudding looks absolutely delicious n it's making drool :)

Priya Suresh said...

Hard to resist to this luscious dessert.
Coconut desserts are my weakness, beautiful pudding.

Hari Chandana said...

Looks absolutely stunning.. awesome!!

Julie said...

I too wished to try this pudding from long tym,though I had in plenty at home but then was lazy to prepare pudding with it.now,literally craving for those tender ones..Pudding looks super yumm :)

Anupa Joseph (Palaharam) said...

uff...ennike vaaya...panni ayaalo....u left me craving for it and i am thinking where can I get some tender coconut right now to make it...looks so drool worthy

Sherin said...

kothiyavunnu... my moms sister made this first for us ever and been a fan ever since.. how did u manage to get it here vineetha?

Vineetha Sush said...

@sherin...i didnt use fresh tender coconut dear eventhough we get it here in srilankan shop ( i dont have vettu kathi to break it ) so i picked up frozen shavings of elaneer and canned tender coconut water :)

know more about STILL BIRTH said...

How much ml is 2 cups milk?