Monday, December 22, 2014

Fish Kolambu/ Meen Kolambu


I cannot stress myself how much I am missing blogging and cooking these days. Since its Christmas holidays here I am at my own liberty now and I have been telling myself that I should make an extra effort to seize this opportunity and update the blog as much as possible and tada..here I am with the a spicy fish curry I have been cooking over and over again for a long time.

I was introduced to this fish kolambu   many years ago from Chennai. I went there for a short trip and food was definitely the best thing I enjoyed the most.  I went crazy exploring the cuisine and one thing which I loved the most was this fish kolambu. I remember trying to recreate it after the trip and in spite of being novice the kolambu tasted great, but back then I was not a blogger and like many other recipes I didn’t save the recipe anywhere and completely forgot about it and never made it again. Couple of month’s back I was in the mood to make a different fish curry and I came across this fish kolambu in vahrehvah. The recipe was quite simple and I had all the ingredients handy and after many moons I made it again and I have to say it brought back all those reminiscence of Chennai! I have been making this curry for quite some time now and every time I postpone clicking the picture for next time. Even today was not a great day to click it, it’s so dark outside and lighting was so poor but now I don’t fuss much about photography, lighting or styling. In fact I have lost touch in styling it and the making it presentable too, but I promise whenever possible I will take an effort to update the recipes with better pictures!


Ingredients
Fish – 500 gm
Onion – 2 medium ( make a paste )
Tomato - 2 Small (blanched and pureed)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Garlic pods (crushed) – 4- 5
Green chillies (slit ) – 2
Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds – ¾ tsp
Fenugreek seeds – ½ tsp
Curry leaves – few
Cumin powder – ½ tsp
Red chilli powder – ¾ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Coriander powder – 1 ½ tsp
Tamarind (gooseberry size) – soaked in  ¼ cup hot water
Sesame oil – 2 tbsp
Water
salt
Method
  • In a chatti/ claypot or saucepan add sesame oil and sputter mustard seeds
  • Add cumin, fenugreek, fennel seeds and crushed garlic.
  • Once garlic becomes golden brown add slit green chillies and curry leaves.
  • Add onion paste and saute for 10 minutes.
  • Add ginger garlic paste and when the raw smell goes add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and saute for a minute or so.
  • Add tomato puree and finally add tamarind water, water, salt and bring the sauce to boil.
  • Simmer the sauce for 25 minutes until oil separates.
  • Add fish to the sauce and cook for 5- 10 minutes. 
Enjoy ! 


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Mouth watering fish curry Vinee looks so inviting. Merry Christmas

Lincyscookart said...

Drool worthy fish curry. Would lov to taste it with some hot matta rice.

Julie said...

perfect combo with choodu choru,love the flavors !!

Rafeeda AR said...

that fish curry is making me drool... dee, ur pics are always good, just keep it simple, that's the best... hope to see more posts from you... :)

Shreya at Jumbodium said...

Mouth watery fish curry. I being a bong is very fond of fish and will surely prepare the curry...I am definitely going to share the feedback with u as well.