It’s June now and it’s supposed to be summer here, but weather has been so depressing and cold since the last 3 days. This always happens when the school breaks up for half term thus making our holidays miserable. But when weather doesn’t agree, there is always one activity we both (my 7 year old and me) enjoy doing at home, baking! Since it’s summer (well at least it’s June) we choose this Orange drizzle cake this time which screams summer . This time I had another little helper an enthusiastic 5 year old who came for a play date. They did almost everything independently. I only gave instructions and supervised! Once the cake was out of the oven they were so impatient so I had to cut the warm cake and half of the cake was gone even before I took descent pictures.
Plain flour - 150 gm
Baking powder - 2 tsp
Salt - a pinch
Orange zest (unwaxed oranges) - 1 tsp
Orange extract - 1 tsp
Unsalted butter - 150 gm
Caster sugar - 150 gm
Eggs (large) - 3
Orange juice - 2 tbs
Orange juice - 75 ml
Icing sugar – 125 gm
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs one and time and beat well.
- Add orange extract and beat until mixed.
- Add the flour, orange juice, orange zest and fold in gently.
- Transfer the batter into an 8 inch greased cake tin.
- Bake it in a preheated oven at 180 degree C for about 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make the orange syrup by mixing orange juice with icing sugar and mixing until sugar is almost dissolved.
- Once the cake comes out of the oven, puncture all over the cake with a skewer and pour the orange syrup.
- Let the cake soak the orange juice and let it cool down in the tin.